29 April 2008

good weekend = chaco tan

God provided a really cool job for me here at Camp Hebron. As with any job I certainly have those days where I lack motivation or feel like I'm just not living up to my potential. One of the best aspects though is that it is so much more than a job. Its a ministry, at times its a lifestyle, its its own culture (oft times that culture is a big ole bubble that I need to get out of). I know this too shall pass so that alone is reason to praise loudly on the days that I just LOVE what is my job for the day. Today I was walking up the Breezewood hill to lead some low ropes/cooperative games with a bunch of 5th grade girls. I gathered up potentially needed tools that included a foam noodle, some beanie babies, a giant bubble wand, and some kush balls and it hit me... this is so fun, I love what I have to do some days. Its "work" for me to play games with kids, be outside, be goofy. Thanks God!

This weekend was another such experience. I was getting PAID to lead a canoe trip, a Father-Daughter adventure. Don't get me wrong... it is a lot of work. If I had a hat for each role I played they would have required their own dry bag... Driver, River guide, Historian, First aid consultant, Preacher, Cook, Entertainer, etc. But let's face it, it was Awesome! [I'd prefer if you read that last sentence with a New Zealand accent.]
A good weekend can be shown off with a chaco tan. Not just anyone can wear sandals to work (am I making you green with envy yet?). We paddled under blue skies & puffy white clouds - all the while waiting to see what would come of the '80% of thunderstorms' weather forecast. The pictures here record the tan in process, the result (my pride), my canoe partner Bekah (no I didn't take my dad. He came with 2 yrs ago but I'm not sure the non-swimmer/afraid of water combination went so well), and campsite activity.
Speaking of awesome -- that sums up Bekah. I had a tough time finding someone to come with me but finally called up one of my fav families and asked if 12 yr old Bekah Ford could come. Her parents were more than happy to grant her permission, guess it pays off to have straight A+. So she skipped a day and a half of school and got some good life experiences. She learned how to set up a tent by herself, fry up some tasty sausages on the Coleman stove, and steer a canoe. I really can't believe she's only 12. If she's not already taller than me she will be soon. Her maturity and initiative to jump right in and help me and everyone else out was a huge help. As if that wasn't enough, I asked her what she would do with $50 thinking to myself 'I bet she's going to say she'd donate it to charity'. Ding! She flippin' did. Unbelievable. She said that or buy clothes. That's more like it. Her parents were so glad to have her spend time with me and go on this adventure but I'm not so sure who was influencing whom. Hats off the Bekah! You're awesome F-150 (that was her river name).

This is Special K signing off. <><

No comments: