23 February 2010

in lieu of

After a run on the treadmill at the gym, my bowels informed me to stop at the loo before going home. While talking to a man about a horse the pitter patter of little feet skips in to the stall beside me. The mini-tumbler (referring to a child in training of Shannon Miller aerials, not the container of consumable liquids) does an equal amount of business to her size, sighs and exits, foregoing the washing of hand and flushing of toilet.
Gross. Oh well. Maybe she was taught 'if it's yellow, let it mellow'....

I was nearing the end of my time behind the hiney hider when another dear little one enters the room. Tumbler Two is in the process of selecting a stall. Standing, I reach back and give 'er a flush only to be met with "AHHH! AHHH!"

Stiffling a chuckle I ask, "Are you ok?" in my kindest big person voice. "Yeah..." "Did you know I was in here?" "NO." "Sorry." [Teehee :)]

As I emerge, the little one has situated herself on a porcelain throne and begun to get down to business. I'm washing my hands when a conversation begins, "My name is *Natalie. What's yours?" Now I'm talking to the voice of a person I've scared and only seen the feet of! Too funny. "My name is Kendra. Sorry to scare you. Have fun in your class!"


*Name changed for privacy purposes, plus, I don't remember what she said her name was

1 comment:

hasselstauff said...

Yesterday I took some kids from work to volunteer at the Special Olympics, and I had a similar experience in the bathroom. One of the athletes must have had a particularly trying time on the slopes and was already nestled into a stall when I stepped up to the urinal. I don’t know if all skiers are friendly with strangers, but this guy definitely was and immediately started a conversation with me. Apparently, he thought I was someone he knew, because halfway through the conversation he began to give me instructions about what I was to tell William upon exiting the bathroom…and a good time was had by all.