21 July 2008

life in the country

I consider Halifax, PA to be rural Pennsylvania. I realize there places FAR more rural, even in PA. With that disclaimer in, Saturday mornin' I went in search of the Driver's License Photo Center in Elizabethville. I wasn't sure how it would go and I had memories of a crowded, hour long wait amongst the eclectic mix of folk from the Reading [i.e. urban] area. E-ville proved to be an altogether different experience and one I was pleased with. Wanting to 'beat the crowd' I peeled myself out of bed, put on a nice shirt, necklace too (hey, I heard of some now famous actress being noticed for her passport pic so I certainly didn't mean to do myself disservice by looking the part of a cruddy, typical rural American in my license photo) and the hair didn't need too much work. I took off on my 20+ minute drive to the plaza which my directions told me were 4 miles east of such & such a road. Ok.......... I missed the plaza the first time driving past because of the massive Walmart that moved in next door, thus distracting me from my humble destination. Upon spotting the place on the return trip I was happy to see only 1 other car parked outside the building. It was an old couple but they beat me inside the door. So I patiently had a seat and waited for Betty to show her pearly whites and uncertainly, answer the questions on the computer screen. I think the answer pad on the counter through her for a loop but the attendant was a good encourager and direction giver. I was up next (one other person came in the door in my whole 6.34 minutes). The lady looked at my address, asked if I was at Camp Hebron, said she loved the place and even told me I was a beautiful as I looked at the smiley face below the camera. I signed my photo, had the new & improved license of a more mature Kendra, told the lady in my sweetest voice to stop by Hebron and say hello and was outta there. Its true my friends that having to wait in lines is a great time to practice patience, to pray, to have conversations with people... but its also nice to not have a line every once in a while.

smile!

No comments: