20 August 2008

Who needs cups?


It hit me today that I am living the ultimate bachlorette life. The activity was drinking milk straight from the jug to wash down the chocolate after a scrumptious hot dog & cheezit meal eaten at 9:00 pm. Who needs a cup when you can get it straight from the jug? There have been a few times I didn't bother to sit down when eating due to not wanting to cook for one (or having the supplies to do so even if I would have wanted to) and was rushing out the door to some random event. Even if I don't have time, I do my best not to eat over the sink. It usually has some gross food waste and I just can't forget that Mahu -- the first cat I actually liked, most of the time -- peed in it. Many bleachings and cleanings later I just can't quite let it go.

So the toe is not broken. It happened about a week and a half ago and its feeling much better. I'm probably using it more than I should thus why its still a bit chubby/swollen but the discoloration didn't last long. Phew!

If anyone doesn't find coaching as youth ministry, they've got another thing coming. I'm not the most compassionate person; I do my fair share of raising of the voice and at times focus too much on the sport itself. [When I was coaching the elementary soccer kids I literally had to bite my tongue from telling a whiney 8 year old to 'suck it up'.] But what keeps me coming back is the players. Its tough to maintain focus but I know the season will be more meaningful and glorifying to God if I can ask Him to help me invest, relationally, in these kids lives. Its really cool that the other coaches are Christians too.

Summer staff have all left. Sad. Transition season is upon us once again. Not sure how I feel. It is nice to have things back in place. Its a bit quieter around here. Lonlier too. But the 'in your face-ness' of summer camp is replaced by time to get involved in the new church I started attending, coaching, prepping for upcoming retreats, Bible studies and random mini-roadtrips. Hmmm, fall. Its almost here! :)

No comments: