21 October 2008

You go Girls!

I just can't quite get enough of the game of soccer. I'm over half way to 50 and I'm still playing. Its not quite at the level of college competition... far from it. Its just a great way to trick myself into working out. I admit that I compare my skills and endurance to check if I'm really getting old or not. Some days I think not, seeing as how I can take it to my high schoolers in skill, sprints and endurance runs. Sheesh, some of them are half my age. I feel to young to be able to say that but its true. Anywayzzz, this post is to share how proud I am of our girls.
They made history Saturday night by becoming Schuylkill League Champs. I've only been involved with the program 3 years but just 5 years ago the squad was started thanks to go-getter Jan Hoffner the head coach. I hear stories of their first year getting just drowned by teams, a hundred goals against and 3 measly goals for the season, going 0-16. Now fast forward to ever improving records and the ladies earn the title of League Champions. The seniors had a very proud moment of carrying the Saturday night earned trophy to the Athletic Director Monday morning.
The game that decided the title was an hour and 45 minute bus ride to Tamaqua (a predetermined site) for two schools that are only 15 miles apart, Halifax and Millersburg. Ironic. These two teams always show up to play each other for pride is at stake. We beat them soundly 2-0 earlier in the season. The funny thing to me is that they all practically know each other either through youth group, dating kids at each other's schools or other sports teams involvement. My girls mentioned more than one text message from one of the opponents saying "good game." I just shake my head (internally) at this small town I find myself in while being sure I'll always be a bit of an outsider, not related... not from around here, by choice. I need something to set me apart. :)
The Pottsville Republican wrote up a great article of the scoreless double overtime game that was decided by 7 penalty kicker rounds. The seniors are an awesome group of hard working, dedicated ladies. They lead by example and positive input and their faith. We pray as a team in a huddle before taking the field. I love that the girls had the chance to share that their help in maintaining composure in such an intense situation was a contribution to their faith in God... through whom they can do all things through Christ who Strengthens them.
Newspaper Article

This week we start District playoffs... incidentally our semi-final game is against Millersburg. Woo doogie, round 3.

No comments: