28 March 2009

Every Blessing You Pour Out...

...I'll turn back to Praise.

Sometimes you have to sing a song many times before you're truly saying the words and grasp its meaning. This season in my life feels like one awesome blessing after another with really cool opportunities. I'm actually struggling with feeling like I don't deserve it all. And I don't think I do, but I can certainly be thankful and enjoy things as they come up with all my energy. When we start thinking we deserve things, our self-righteousness kicks in and shifts the focus from THE GIVER to the receiver. What do we really deserve? I mean, really deserve? Well, the truth is, we deserve death. I'm not saying that to be Debbie Downer or morbid, but instead to keep my attitude as one of thanksgiving. So every day we don't get what we deserve is a cause for excitement and thanksgiving. It just so happens I have a lot of tangible things to be thankful for lately.

A friend of mine who works for CCO (Coaltion for Christian Outreach, college campus ministries) leads wilderness adventure trips during college breaks. He'd mentioned the possibility of needing a female leader a few months back but then found someone within the organization to go. Until 5 days before the trip. She'd gotten the dates wrong. The call came. Could I still go? Woo! Usually in making such decisions I go by my gut feeling and the rationalizing measure stick (i.e. can i afford it, is it being responsible, what do I have to miss to go?) The feeling in my gut said oh man, I really want to go. Canoeing.. in Florida.. with students.. costs covered.. I'm so there. I happened to be on staff retreat. Perfect timing because everyone I would need to ask to cover my duties were all in one place and the retreat is an encouraging, supportive setting. I kept the news to myself for the evening, savoring the possibility, hardly containing my pending decision. Long story short, everyone at camp was extremely supportive (and jealous) and 4 days later as a group of 18 strong, were cruising to Florida.

Highlights were jumping fish, dolphin sightings, islands, camping, beaches, ocean view pooping, eating, conversations, laughing, getting to know the students, catching up with Jeremy, sun, 80 degree weather, canoeing, selah & solo time, seashells, Triad Seafood restaurant, Havannah Cafe (aka. gastronomical delight). Well, pretty much everything. Except the no-see-ums, sand in every nook & cranny, the breeze-less nights on sandy sleeping bags, bug bites and swollen sunburnt lips. But even all those things are (now) laugable.

And NO, WE DID NOT GET EATEN BY GATORS. I have spoken. sheesh, say 'florida' and immediately people think you're going to die or at least be a few digits or limbs less from a gator encounter. We didn't even see any where we were canoeing because they aren't in big salt water. yes, we did see a ridiculous amount along the road in the brackish water but we were safe in our van.











.

No comments: